Walking on ceiling can be constructed from panels (refer to panels strength data), for the purpose of supporting occasional maintenance workers. The following general advice is given with the understanding that full consideration should be given to ceiling design with respect to loads to be placed on them.
- Clear guidelines should be displayed for personnel at all ceiling access points
- No more than 2 people should stand on any one panel
- Must be cautious when walking on panels with apertures
- Ceiling should not be placed under additional stress such as having someone running or jumping on the insulated ceiling
- Walk ways should be constructed by means of cat walks or young man type boards for access areas in frequent use
- All pipe work, plant and equipment should be securely fixed to the overhead structure and not directly to the panels
- Sources of heat such as welding equipment should be kept clear of panels